Monad Ticketing Forum

Questions for Accounts re Payment by Installments

Let’s suppose you’re running a course, and it’s £100 for the term, and you’re letting people pay a 20% deposit with the balance due before the start of term.

Someone comes and books a place on the course and hands over £20 cash.

What do you expect to see on your payment reconciliation summary at the end of the day?

• An order for £100 and a payment of £20 cash (so the orders and payments don’t add up to the same amount)
  • An order for £20 and a payment of £20 cash (so that the order value is reduced to the deposit amount)
  • An order for £100 and a payment of £20 cash and £80 by account / invoice (so that the order is recognised in full and the fact that the later payment is pending is by payment type)

0 voters

@Cockpit_Akilah @denise.cresswell @kathryn @KathrynLS @wendy.tulloch

Could you ask your account departments what they expect to see?

I sort of can’t do the middle option (2) and would mildly prefer (3) over (1) from the point of view of how the system fits together.

the last one is the one they prefer

Hurrah! It’s nice when the version I think is most sensible is the one that people want!

OK next question:

My plan is to use the installments as prompts for reminders, but not as individual bills that can be paid separately.

For example:

Suppose an order is due to be paid in 4 installments.

Installment 1 (Deposit): £20 - Due 1st October
Installment 2: £20 - Due 8th October
Installment 3: £30 - Due 15th October
Installment 4: £30 - Due 22nd October.

I don’t think it makes any sense for someone to be able to pay installment 3 before installment 2 is paid.

If installment 2 was missed then on the 15th October they’re going to get a prompt to pay £50. If they pay £30 (the amount of installment 3 due that day) we are not going to mark installment 3 as paid with installment 2 as unpaid. It’s going to look like installment 2 is paid in full (late) and installment 3 is part paid (by £10).

That is: payments are made against the order, not against the installments.

I can imagine that someone might want to pay early, but I don’t want to put individual payment links against the installments. Instead I think I want buttons for:

1. Pay amount owning (which will be £0 in this example on the 7th October, £20 on the 9th October until we make a payment)
  2. Pay amount owing if any and next installment early (which would be £20 on the 7th October, and if we didn’t pay installment 2 it would be £50 on the 9th October.
  3. Pay off full balance.

I can’t imagine anyone needing any other option… what have I missed?

Someone might have £40 with installment 2 due. why not just let them pay £20 for installment 2 and £20 towards installment 3. i.e. have pay what due button, pay custom amount input and pay full balance.

Don’t much fancy letting them pay a random amount: adding a text box for typing numbers in increases a thousandfold how fiddly it is to use on mobile and how much testing we need to do.

I figured they would either want to get up to date, or they might be in a day early to pay the next installment, but they were unlikely to part-pay a future installement.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.